In order to inspire their customers, I (as a coach) want to help my clients to focus on defining clear business goals, identifying metrics to measure success and take data driven decisions.
Step I: Create awareness
a) Ask provoking questions e.g.
- How do you ensure you are building the right thing?
- How do you know you are creating benefits for your users?
- How do you identify perceived benefits for your users?
b) Confronting the client with data e.g.
- In general pareto principle applies to software products e.g. 20% of features create 80% of the value
- Examples from previous projects
- According statistics from their own product
Step II: Explain Concept e.g. Lean Startup
a) What kind of concepts exist?
- Lean Startup
- Mobius Loop – you can watch a video by Gabrielle Benefield or download the Mobius Canvas
- Design Thinking
b) What are the goals & benefits of each concept and what is it all about e.g. Lean Startup?
Goal: Learn fast about what the customer really needs?
Step III: Concrete actions
As a next step one should encourage his client to fill out a business model canvas for their product, define concrete MVPs (or additional feature sets for existing products), identify metrics to measure success, measure and inspect & adapt the business model (see picture below).